You’ve finally found it—the best bar soap for sensitive skin.Dr. Squatch soap makes you feel and smell like a champion, without the harmful chemicals you’ll find in that other stuff you call soap. If you think your soap might be causing or aggravating your sensitive skin, join Squatch Nation and give our all-natural soap a try.
Why All-Natural Soap? What’s Wrong with Commercial Soap?
Soapmaking was going great—the Babylonians were doing it as far back as2800 B.C.—until World War I, when commercial soap came into the picture. While synthetic ingredients helped to scale soap manufacturing so that bars could be mass-produced to treat soldiers’ wounds, the end product set the stage for soap to spiral into something it was never meant to become.
The problem with commercial soap today is that beneficial, moisturizing glycerin is extracted and saved for higher-margin products, like lotions, creams, and salts. Big brands tend to treat soap like a bottom-of-the-barrel product, literally removing the good stuff before selling it to you. In place of natural glycerin, you’re getting non-natural fillers—some of which are potentially harmful.
Commercial Soap: The Bad Stuff
If you see any of these ingredientsin a bar of soap, stray away, friend
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate(SLS) –Dries and irritates the skin. Also linked to cancer, liver damage, and depression
Dioxane–A contaminant and suspected carcinogen produced from sodium laureth sulfate (SLES) known to irritate the eyes, respiratory tract, and skin.
Triclosan – Classified as a pesticide by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Linked to bacterial resistance, weakening of the immune system, thyroid hormone imbalance, allergies, and reproductive toxicity.
Parabens – Potentially disruptive to natural hormones. Believed to mimic estrogen and contribute to decreased sperm levels in men.
Ureas – Capable of releasing the dangerous chemical formaldehyde, a known carcinogen and environmental toxin.
Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) –Directly linked to cancer and organ toxicity.
All-Natural Soap: The Good StuffWhen you see ingredients like these, with none of the additives above, you know you’ve found the right bar soap for sensitive skin.
- Olive Oil – Antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and moisturizing properties in one.
- Coconut Oil – Used in the treatment of various skin conditions, including dermatitis, eczema, and psoriasis.
- Hemp Oil – Helps the skin’s ability to retain moisture.
- Essential Oils – Fragrant, cleansing, and hydrating oils like lavender, cypress, and sandalwood.
- Shea Butter – Smoothing and moisturizing, with anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Pine Tar Extract – Often used to treat skin irritation and/or bug bites. The real MVP in Dr. Squatch’s woodsy, refreshing Pine Tar soap.
- Oatmeal – Gently cleansing and pH balancing. An unsung hero in our Pine Tar soap.
- Oak Moss – An earthy, rustic base note than can be found in our Gold Moss Scrub .
- Sea Salt – A subtle, affordable means of using salt as a scrub for its many skin benefits.
- Sage – Known for increasing pulmonary circulation. Discover sage soap here .
- Mint – Believed to reduce acne and breakouts. We use mint leaves in our Spearmint Basil Scrub .
- Sand – An underrated natural exfoliant that is as refreshing as a day at the beach.
Raising the Bar for All-Natural Soap
Dr. Squatch has been perfecting the science of all-natural soapmaking since its humble beginnings, when our founder, Jack, began creating his own recipes out of his garage. We make soap the right way: by hand, using the traditional cold process to retain the glycerin and nutrients in each bar without the need for harsh preservatives. Step up your shower with manly, natural scents delivered to your door. Shop our all-natural soap today.